Unrelated to anything, I’d just like to mention that this is post #300 on this blog. In case anyone was wondering.
Just Fine With Caroline, by Annie England Noblin (releases 10/2016)Meh. Predictable. Entertaining enough to finish, but full of pat, somewhat two-dimensional character types and predictable situations. Winter Storms, by Elin Hilderbrand (releases 10/4/16)A meringue of a story. A little oversweet, kind of insubstantial, but if you’re in the right mood, it’s satisfying. IQ, by Joe Ide (releases 10/18/16)An interesting and rather unconventional take on the young black men in the poor neighborhood type of story. The Rift: Uprising, by Amy S. Foster (releases 10/2016)First of a planned series of YA near-future science fiction. Stars a badass teenage girl. Long Way Gone, by Charles Martin (releases 10/4/16)Meh. Started, didn’t finish. Didn’t do it for me. Goldenhand, by Garth Nix (releases 10/11/16)An excellent continuation of the Old Kingdom series. I really hope there’s a book six, because Nix HAD BETTER NOT LEAVE THE STORY THERE.
- Mister Monkey, by Francine Prose (releases 10/2016) Longlisted for the Carnegie Medal.
The Comet Seekers, by Helen Sedgwick (releases 10/2016)An interesting concept, but the story dragged.
Orphans of the Carnival, by Carol Birch (11/2016)Another one I couldn’t put down. Based on a real woman’s life, and one of the best-written ARCs I’ve had yet.
- A Portrait of Emily Price, by Katherine Reay (releases 11/1/16)
Butter: a Rich History, by Elena Khosrova (releases 11/15/16)Given as a gift to my brother.
- The Second Mrs. Hockaday, by Susan Rivers (releases 1/10/17)
- Little Deaths, by Emma Flint (releases 1/17/17)
- The Young Widower’s Handbook, by Tom McAllister (releases 2/7/17)
- The Orphan’s Tale, by Pam Jenoff (releases 2/28/17)
The Daughters, by Adrienne Celt (left over from previous haul, released August 2015)Odd but compelling story about the multigenerational impact family can have and the power of stories and music.
- Words Without Music, by Philip Glass (left over from previous haul, released April 2015)
- She Came from Beyond!, by Nadine Darling (left over from previous haul, released October 2015)